Belonging: What Does It Really Mean? 

by Aric Wilson, Mr. SoCal Leather 2019

    It’s a thought many of us never think about or even realize until its profoundness appears, and then we question it all. I recall the days of going to the local gayborhood in whatever city I was living in and trying to keep up and fit in and getting a seat at the table, only to be brushed off if not ignored altogether. I remember the repeated trips to the bar (since drinking was doing something instead of nothing) to order another drink, and I would eventually round out the night unless the occasional night cap presented itself.

    The desire to go out faded, and then I became a homebody and a nobody. Then one day, it all changed, seemingly at once. I walked into the Eagle LA and those feelings of being alone in the bar changed. People were friendly to me and my time became filled with laughter, learning and story-telling, and I realized I was taking fewer trips to the bar. I still drank, but I did so because I actually wanted to and not out of boredom. I made friends that I looked forward to seeing, —I would stop on my way home just to say hi.

    I found my place. I belonged. 

    Belonging feels natural, and it’s something you think about until you don’t have to any more. Then it feels like home. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innerview With A Bear - by Eric F. Crow

Inner View of a Pet - by Eric Crow and Jonathan Daniels

Twelve Favorite Moments from San Diego Pride 2019